WELCOME TO THE 2018 PITTSBURGH DATA JAM
2018 Pittsburgh Data Jam
Welcome to the 2018 Pittsburgh Data Jam project page, your home for the 2018 Pittsburgh Data Jam, a one of its kind analytics competition. The Pittsburgh Data Jam has multiple teams several Pittsburgh area High Schools. This year's event will conclude in Spring 2018.
This page contains updates, news items, key dates, plus links to other pages, and resources for students, parents, media, and educators alike.
THE DATA JAM EXPERIENCE
The Pittsburgh Data Jam introduces Pittsburgh High School students to big data and data analytics. It raises the students’ awareness of:
- The impact that big data will have on their lives as individuals
- The new career options that are being created by the advent of big data in nearly every industry imaginable
- The Pittsburgh Data Jam provides hands-on learning of data analytics. In doing so, students will engage in the following experiences:
- Participation in data analysis competition
- Data analysis exercises
- Data visualization tools
- Field visits to companies and nonprofits to learn how professionals in all fields are using big data
- Workshops with data scientists
- Final poster and 10 minute presentation of a final project
DATA JAM Details
The Pittsburgh Data Jam is a dynamic experience that involves a series of events for both high school students and teachers. It is comprised of the following:
- Teams of up to 5-9 students, lead by 1-2 students
- Several local high schools (grades 9-12). These schools cover variety of communities not just STEM schools
- Students select a data analysis project to work on
- Partners include the Grable Foundation, Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation, and University of Pittsburgh Sceince Outreach Program
Data Jam Activities
The Pittsburgh Data Jam includes the following hands-on activities:
- Kick of Assembly and student workshop
- Written exercises
- Field trips to Pittsburgh Area Corporations and Nonprofits Demonstrating Big Data in Use
- Working with data sets- mentoring on software and projects provided by Pitt honors students
- Finale presentation with awards ceremony
Data Jam Calendar
9/29 - Teacher’s workshop at the Pittsburgh Super Computing Center
10/1- Student Workshop
January and February 2018- Field Trips
February 2018- Presentation Competition
2/27- Finale Reception
RSVP-2018 Pittsburgh Datat Jam Finale
Use the form below to register your attendance at the 2018 Pittsburgh Data Jam Finale...
Awards to the top teams will be presented, and County Executive Rich Fitzgerald will be offering a keynote to all in attendance.
We invite you to attend this event to support your child and their school’s and our investment in preparing them for their bright, new futures.
If you would like to attend, please RSVP by Feb. 23 2018.
Participating High Schools
The following greater Pittsburgh area High Schools are participating in the 2018 Pittsburgh Data Jam. Click a logo to learn more about that particular school. The schools are presented in no particular order.
3 Common Levels in an Organization and Decision-Making characteristics at each level
Thank you to all the following sponsors for their support in Data Jams and hosting the field trips for students. Click a logo to learn more about that sponsor. The sponsors are presented in no particular order.