Going to the Finale on Feb. 23? — Scroll down to register!
2017 Pittsburgh Data Jam
Welcome to the 2017 Pittsburgh Data Jam project page, your home for the 2017 Pittsburgh Data Jam, a one of it's kind analytics competition. The Pittsburgh Data Jam has grown significantly from 7 participating high schools in 2015 to multiple teams from over 15 Pittsburgh area High Schools. This year's event will conclude in Spring 2017.
Check this for page for updates, news items, plus links to other pages, and resources for students, parents, media, and educators alike.
THE DATA JAM EXPERIENCE
The Pittsburgh Data Jam introduces Pittsburgh High School students to big data and data analytics. It raises the students awareness of:
- The impact that big data will have on their lives as individuals
- The new career options that are being created by the advent of big data in nearly every industry imaginable
- The Pittsburgh Data Jam provides hands-on learning of data analytics. In doing so, students will engage in the following experiences:
- Participation in data analysis competition
- Data analysis exercises
- Data visualization tools
- Field visits to big data companies in Pittsburgh
- Seminars with data scientists
- Final poster presentation
The Pittsburgh Data Jam is a dynamic experience that involves a series of events for both high school students and teachers. It is comprised of the following:
- Teams of up to 5-7 students
- 15 area high schools (grades 9-12). These schools cover variety of neighborhoods not just STEM schools
- One or more teacher mentors and teams (some schools in previous years had 3 teams)
- Students select a data analysis project to work on
- Data Jam Kick off – Fall 2016 - The Data Jam Kickoff involved high school presentations by Pittsburgh Dataworks President Saman Haqqi
- Teacher Workshop – November 2015 - Teachers were invited to the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center in Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, for some hands on training and insight into providing a their students a top notch Data Jam experience.
- Finale – Students present their project findings at a public event to be held in Feb. 2017. See below for the date and use the form to RSVP.
- Partnering with Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation and University of Pittsburgh Science Outreach Program
The 2017 Pittsburgh Data Jam Finale
The competition experience comes to a finale this year on Thursday February 23 with a reception that begins at 5:00 pm at the University of Pittsburgh University Center.
Allegheny County Executive Rich Fitzgerald will be kicking off the event, all teams will present their final posters and awards will be presented to the top teams.
We invite you to attend the finale to see the work and analysis the teams performed, and to support and encourage their commitment to engage and complete this extra-curricular experience.
If you would like to attend, please RSVP by Friday 2/17/17. Use the electronic form below!
RSVP - 2017 Pittsburgh Data Jam finale
Use the form below to register your attendance at the 2017 Pittsburgh Data Jam Finale...
Awards to the top teams will be presented, and County Executive Rich Fitzgerald will be offering a keynote to all in attendance.
We invite you to attend this event to support your child and their school’s and our investment in preparing them for their bright, new futures.
If you would like to attend, please RSVP by Feb. 17 2017.
Who Is Participating?
The following great Pittsburgh area High Schools are participating in the 2017 Pittsburgh Data Jam.
- Bethel Park
- Central Catholic
- The Ellis School
- North Allegheny
- Oakland Catholic
- The Pittsburgh Public Schools Scholar Project
- Propel, Andrew Street
- Pittsburgh Science and Technology
- Sewickley Academy
- South Fayette
- Upper Saint Clair
Pittsburgh Data Jam Resources
Looking for Data Jam materials and resources? Click the button below.