Welcome To The 2016 Pittsburgh Data Jam official Project Page
The 2016 Pittsburgh Data Jam concluded April 22 in the heart of Pittsburgh's Oakland neighborhood. Judges evaluated presentations at the University of Pittsburgh's renowned Cathedral of Learning. An award ceremony and reception followed afterward at the adjacent Pittsburgh Athletic Association.
Original 2016 Pittsburgh Data Jam Promo
The 2016 Pittsburgh Data Jam kicked off in the fall of 2015. As such, full creative license was taken to tap into the popularity of the December film release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens...
A long time ago. In a galaxy far, far away...
The 2016 Pittsburgh Data Jam
Welcome to the 2016 Pittsburgh Data Jam project page, your home for the 2016 Pittsburgh Data Jam, a one of it's kind analytics competition. The Pittsburgh Data Jam has grown from 7 participating high schools in 2015 to a whopping 16 participating high schools. This year's event will conclude in April 2016. This page contains updates, news items, plus links to other pages, and resources for students, parents, media, and educators alike.
Congratulations to the 2016 Data Jam finalist top 5
RSVP for The 2016 finale
DATA JAM STUDENT WORKSHOP RESOURCES AND DOWNLOADS
On Friday, Feb. 26, 2016, Pittsburgh Data Jam advisory member and Oracle enterprise architect Brian Macdonald led a hands-on workshop for teachers and students participating int the 2016 Pittsburgh Data Jam to learn about basic data analysis.
The Data Jam EXPERIENCE
The Pittsburgh Data Jam introduces Pittsburgh High School students to big data and data analytics. It raises the students awareness of:
- The impact that big data will have on their lives as individuals
- The new career options that are being created by the advent of big data in nearly every industry imaginable
The Pittsburgh Data Jam provides hands-on learning of data analytics. In doing so, students will engage in the following experiences:
- Participation in data analysis competition
- Data analysis exercises
- Data visualization tools
- Field visits to big data companies in Pittsburgh
- Seminars with data scientists
- Final poster presentation
Data Jam Details
Be Sure To See The Video...
The Pittsburgh Data Jam is a dynamic experience that involves a series of events for both high school students and teachers. It is comprised of the following:
- Teams of up to 5-7 students
- 17 area high schools (grades 9-12). These schools cover variety of neighborhoods not just STEM schools
- One or more teacher mentors and teams (some schools in previous years had 3 teams)
- Students select a data analysis project to work on
- Data Jam Kick off – October 2015 - The Data Jam Kickoff involved high school presentations by Pittsburgh Dataworks President Saman Haqqi
- Teacher Workshop – November 2015 - Teachers were invited to the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center in Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, for some hands on training and insight into providing a their students a top notch Data Jam experience.
- Finale – Students present their project findings at a public event to be held in March or April 2016. The exact date is to be announced.
- Partnering with Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation and University of Pittsburgh Science Outreach Program
Learn more about CMU Prof. Raja Sooriamurthi
- Raja Sooriamurthi, PhD - Teaching Professor, Information Systems Program, Carnegie Mellon University
Data Jam Activities
The Pittsburgh Data Jam includes the following hands-on activities:
- High School Assembly presentation on big data to kick-off
- Written exercises 3-5
- Field visits to area big data companies
- Speakers – listen/learn from big data practitioners
- Working with data sets – Tableau and student workshop
- Finale presentation with awards ceremony
- Wrap up – April 2015
PARTICIPATING High Schools
Not only are career opportunities growing in big data, so are the number of Pittsburgh area high schools helping prepare Pittsburgh's next generation of data savvy professionals. The 2016 Pittsburgh Data Jam will feature teams from the following notable Pittsburgh High Schools:
- Bethel Park
- Central Catholic
- Cornell High School
- Holy Family Institute
- North Allegheny
- North Hills
- Oakland Catholic High School
- Andrew Street High School
- Sewickley Academy
- The Ellis School
- South Fayette
- Fox Chapel
- Winchester Thurston School
- Springdale Jr.-Sr. High School
- Upper St. Clair
Learn more about the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
2016 Pittsburgh Data Jam RSVP FORM
Are you the parent of a Pittsburgh Data Jammer?
The 2016 Pittsburgh Data Jam experience comes to a finale this year on April 22 with a reception that begins at 5 pm at the Pittsburgh Athletic Association, 4215 Fifth Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213. Awards to the top teams will be presented, and County Executive Rich Fitzgerald will be offering a keynote to all in attendance.
We invite you to attend this event to support your child and their school’s and our investment in preparing them for their bright, new futures.
If you would like to attend, please RSVP by Friday April 15 2016.
School Logos and Links
Click a logo to learn more about that particular school. The schools are presented in no particular order.