Join Pittsburgh's big data start-ups and national and regional big data investors for an informative, high quality exchange of ideas and sharing
of lessons learned from investing in and building companies in the field of data
Unlike other events involving venture capitalists and start-ups, this is neither a demo day event nor a pitch contest. Investors we spoke with unanimously indicated interest in having a meaningful dialog and relationship building opportunity with entrepreneurs, independent of investment opportunity.
An engaging, interactive format provides learning opportunities, a networking luncheon, one-on-one ‘curated’ meetings between the investors and entrepreneurs and a broader showcase of local, innovative technologies and projects.
Joining the session are national VCs in the big data space from Accel, Atlas Ventures, Google Ventures, as well as local investors such as Draper Triangle, Innovation Works, and Birchemere Capital.
A deep roster of local companies in the data analytics space will be present. Meet well-funded startups by repeat entrepreneurs like Avere (Ron Bianchini, founder of Spinnaker Networks) and Duolingo (Luis Van Anh, founder of ReCaptcha), fast growing startups like CivicScience and Safaba, promising seed-funded ventures like PoweredAnalytics and kWantera and leaders from recent exits such as BodyMedia (now Jawbone) and Vivisimo (now IBM Big Data Lab).
University Club, Ballroom B
Nov 14, 2013
8:30a – 2:00p
- 08:30 - 09:00AM Registration / Networking
- 09:00 - 09:30AM Keynote - Christopher Lynch, Technology, Atlas Ventures
- 09:30 - 10:00AM Keynote - Dmitriy Rayaboy, Analytics Infrastructure, Twitter
- 10:00 - 10:45AM 'Unpitch' presentations by 9 start-up leaders:
Civic Science, Community Elf, DuoLingo, Kwantera,
PoweredAnalytics, PHRQL, Safaba, Tiramisu Transit, Webkite
- 10:45 - 11:30PM Big Data Showcase
- 11:30 - 12:30PM Panel Discussion: Moderated by Mickey McManus, CEO, MAYA Design
Luis von Ahn, CEO, Duolingo,
Mike Kazar, CTO, Avere Systems
Christine Robins, CEO, BodyMedia (now Jawbone)
Shanna Tellerman, Partner, Google Ventures
Ned Renzi, Partner, Birchmere Ventures
- 12:30 - 01:30PM Lunch Break
- 01:00 - 02:00PM One-on-one meetings between investors and start-ups (by invitation only)