Dataworks' Advisory Committee considered each big data project's potential to impact lives, uniqueness, data-centricity and use of analytics and rewarded the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute's big data research project the "Showcase Winner" award.
Here's a list of the companies, researchers and academic participants in Pittsburgh's first Big Data Showcase:
2. Carnegie Mellon University Heinz College - Do Likes Matter - a randomized experiment to determine the role that popularity plays on the sales of movies
3. Carnegie Mellon University Heinz College - Fast Generalized Subset Scan for Anomalous Pattern Detection
4. Carnegie Mellon University Heinz College - Event Detection in Heterogeneous Social Media Graphs
5. Civic Science - Polls millions of consumers every week on their favorite websites and social networks. We then help the world's leading marketers and other decision-makers see results in real-time and dive deep into the most important trends.
6. IBM - Pittsburgh Big Data Lab
7. Kwantera - manages the purchase and consumption of electricity and natural gas across the United States
8. Management Science Associates - 50 years of Data Analytics leadership
9. Netapp - Sequoia Supercomputing System
10. Objectivity - Enterprise NoSQL leader, helping customers harness the power of Big Data.
11. Powered Analytics - Cloud-based platform for creating and operationalizing predictive models in hours, not months
12. Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center - Sherlock & Data Supercell
13. Quant MD - Healthcare diagnostics company with a global outreach servicing cutting-edge proprietary Healthcare Enhancement through Robust Algorithmic Diagnosis (HERALD™) of medical images, for early and non-invasive cardiovascular disease diagnostics, surgical planning and interventional guidance
14. Shufflepoint - Turns all internet data, as well as customer's internal data, into a meta-virtual data warehouse
15. University of Pittsburgh Department of Computer Science - Advanced Data Management Technologies Lab
16. University of Pittsburgh School of Information Sciences - Big Data Masters Degree Program
17. University of Pittsburgh - Department of Epidemiology - Our group at the Department of Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh, in partnership with the Library of Alexandria in Egypt, are working in the area of establishing a helpline for scientists who are struggling with publishing their results due to lack of methodological or statistical skills
18. University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute - UPCI and the Department of Biomedical Informatics has launched a pilot program in collaboration with the UPMC Enterprise Analytics Program and Oracle® to characterize the patient and their cancer using progressively more sophisticated testing and then using these test results to predict the most effective and least toxic treatment for that individual.
These are by no means all the big data related initiatives in Pittsburgh - there are many more and exciting projects already in the works and being added on a regular basis. We hope to shine the spotlight on some of them soon.
In the meantime, do you know of some? Please share.